We provide high quality and balanced learning programs that value and develop children’s learning, wellbeing and physical, social and emotional development.
We believe that children learn best when they are happy and in a safe, secure, caring and positive environment. At Houghton Preschool we aim to: provide a place of learning where all children feel they belong; build and maintain relationships; develop a sense of identity; we are intrinsically motivated to engage in interesting and stimulating learning activities.
In order to achieve this type of learning environment we: offer a stimulating preschool environment where every family is personally greeted each morning; acknowledge different personalities and build positive relationships with each child and their family; offer stimulating learning opportunities that reflect children’s likes and abilities; celebrate students leaning by displaying work and photos; actively engage in play with each child; and allow children’s interests and investigations to lead the program and their learning.
Houghton Preschool believe that:
- Early childhood is a time of huge growth and development for children. We share the responsibility for fostering the development and teaching of the whole child with parents/caregivers.
- Each child is individually unique in their progression of development and with their own style of learning, behaviours and communication skills.
- When children are in a safe, healthy and supportive environment they are able to form secure attachments with staff and peers. These attachments when combined with routines and a well-structured program enable children to take safe risks and explore.
- The child’s whole development is nurtured through a program based on children’s interests, parent input, staff observations and assessments, and ‘The Early Years Learning Framework’. We implement this program by using play based learning and other pedagogical practices in the Early Years Learning Framework.
- When staff work in a safe, healthy and supportive environment they are able to continuously learn and develop their professional knowledge and skills through reflective practice.
- When parents/carers feel welcome and valued, they will work in partnership with staff and contribute to their child’s learning and development.
- As part of the community, our role is to value and promote participation with the local groups, service providers and community.
- Our vision is to promote a collaborative teaching and learning community with a focus on the 5 Learning Outcomes in the Early Years Learning Framework.
- All members of the team are committed to ongoing professional learning and regularly reflect on our practices.
- We plan and deliver high quality, balanced programs that foster and develop each child’s learning, wellbeing and development.
- We work collaboratively as a team with parents and the wider community
- We build secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships with children.
- We foster the development and learning of each child in collaboration with families.